In my field experience my teacher uses Class Dojo as her classroom management and reward system. Class Dojo is a website and app that allows teachers to give students points for specific appropriate behavior as well as take points away for specific inappropriate behavior. Class Dojo also allows teachers to share students' points with their parents or guardians. I think that Class Dojo could be an effective reward system, however I would use it only to give points for positive behavior, rather than giving and taking away points. With a system like Class Dojo I think it is also important that students have a goal to work toward as they are earning points. Another teacher I observed had specific rewards for students once they received a specific amount of points on Class Dojo. These rewards included, no shoes, homework pass, treasure box, lunch with the teacher, etc.
![]() |
| Each student is given an avatar in Class Dojo and this is what the main screen would look like. |
In my own classroom I plan to implement a reward system that focuses on reinforcing appropriate behavior. Perhaps I will use Class Dojo as a way to keep track of points. I also like the idea of using "Student of the Week" to reinforce a specific appropriate behavior. Meaning that instead of giving "Student of the Week" to the student with the most points or the student that was "good", "Student of the Week" would be given based on a specific behavior. For example, the appropriate behavior one week may be raising a hand before speaking and another week it may be speaking kindly to other classmates, etc. This does not mean that the teacher does not reinforce other appropriate behaviors, but the reward of "Student of the Week" is attached to displaying the specific behavior designated by the teacher at the beginning of the week.

Laura,
ReplyDeleteI agree with the separation of positive points and negative consequences. Points should not be taken away - that student earned that point for good behavior! However, coming up with consequences that match or are appropriate for a misbehavior is probably one of the most difficult decisions there is. I'm going to have to truly consider all of the possibilities and have a list at the ready!