Thinking back on my social studies education in elementary school I remember learning mostly from the textbook. I remember being asked to read through chapters of the textbook and then answer questions at the end. Perhaps this is the reason I began to dislike social studies and become unengaged with social studies curriculum. Not only were the textbooks boring, but as a student I was learning only one side of the story. I was learning the story that the textbook writer and publisher wanted to tell. This perspective was most often the perspective of the majority. There was little emphasis on diversity in social studies instruction.
As a teacher I hope to provide a different experience for my students. I must recognize that there is bias in social studies textbooks and I must use other resources to teach my students about diversity and perspective. I think it is important to teach students to see situations from other perspectives. Therefore, when talking about historic events it is necessary to think about how those events may have seemed different for different groups of people. In our classrooms we must create an environment that celebrates diversity, not just during certain months of the year. Students with disabilities and students who are learning English as a second language provide a great opportunity to celebrate diversity in the classroom. As a teacher I will assist these students by getting to know them as individuals and creating a classroom environment in which they feel welcome and can succeed. It is important to assess the classroom environment and the activities to ensure that they are appropriate for all the students in the classroom, including English language learners and students with disabilities.

No comments:
Post a Comment