Tuesday, May 14, 2013
21st Century Skills and TPACK
The Partnership for 21st Century Skills advocates that students gain knowledge, skills, and expertise to ensure 21st century readiness. Students today need different skills and knowledge to be successful in an increasingly global and digital society. 21st Century Skills advocates that educators combine content in core subject areas with interdisciplinary themes such as; global awareness, financial economic, business, and entrepreneurial literacy, civic liberty, health literacy, and environmental literacy. The Partnership for 21st Century Skills also advocates that educators should provide students with learning and innovation skills, information, media, and technology skills, and life and career skills. These skills combined with content knowledge in subjects such as english, mathematics, science, and social studies will enhance students' readiness for work and life after leaving the classroom.
The TPACK model seems to enhance educators ability to teach 21st Century Skills in the classroom because this model demonstrates how teachers can combine technological knowledge, pedagogical knowledge, and content knowledge to better meet the needs of their students. According to Koehler and Mishra it is important that educators have technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) to provide their students with relevant knowledge and skills in the 21st century.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Laura,
ReplyDeleteI like that the Partnership for 21st Century Skills emphasizes how the skills are used in life, not just in the classroom. I think that is one of the most important arguments for using technology. It's not just about the classroom, it's about life outside the classroom too.
Caroline
Hi, Laura--I am glad you mention the TPACK model. Although I understand the basic idea of the Venn diagram the website presents, I am not clear about what specifics/details fall within the overlapping areas, particularly at the center: "technological pedagogical content knowledge". What do you think?
ReplyDeleteThanks--
Hi Laura,
ReplyDeleteI find it very interesting that NC is one of a handful of states that are part of the Partnership for 21st Century Skills. I wonder how these skills, which lend themselves well to STEM, are going to interact with the new focus in America on Language Arts and Math.
Hi Laura- I think that students do need to be prepared for the 21st Century and the skills that will be needed to be prepared for life outside of the classroom. The students that are not exposed to such skills outside of the classroom will be able to familiarize themselves while in the classroom if made available. I feel that it is important bring these skills into the classroom to develop more rounded students.
ReplyDeleteBonnie Harris